We are in 2024 and your brand's online presence is everything. It's your storefront, your voice, and your reputation. With around 95% of the purchases estimated to be online, every brand has jumped onto the bandwagon of boosting its online presence. But with great visibility comes great vulnerability. Brand IP abuse, from product counterfeiting like first copies and replicas to piracy and cybersquatting, inflicts serious damage; eroding trust, siphoning profits and tarnishing your image. But how to prevent that?
Online Brand Protection Tools
A non-cloneable QR product authentication solution like Certify will be effective in verifying a product's authenticity in the offline market. But the same won’t be practical in online platforms. Customers won’t be able to differentiate between the genuine products listed on Amazon and their fake counterparts. This begs for a solution that is rooted in technologies including Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning languages that can scan the cyber world to identify fake products in the online world.
Why Brand Protection is Necessary in the Online World
Similar to the threats in the physical world, a brand’s digital front faces identical challenges in cyberspace. Even though they might seem intangible, the costs inflicted on brands and consumers alike can be staggering, reaching far beyond the immediate financial losses. This can be measured in two categories
- Eroded revenue: Impersonators siphon customers away, stealing sales and impacting profitability. A study states that at least 47% of the brands lose revenue due to counterfeiting.
- Damaged reputation: When consumers encounter fake products or impersonators posing as your brand, they often blame the real brand, leading to eroded trust, tarnished reputation, and ultimately, lost customers.
- Legal expenses: Battling impersonators can be a costly legal uphill battle, involving takedown notices, lawsuits, and investigations.
The Intangible Loss
- Customer discontent: Fake products and scams lead to frustrated customers who feel cheated and deceived. Over 50% of online buyers have fallen prey to deceptive practices. This manifests in negative reviews, social media complaints and diminished brand loyalty, causing further damage.
- Employee morale: Seeing their hard work tarnished by impersonators can demoralize employees and affect brand spirit.
- Lack of Innovation: Fear of imitation can discourage brands from taking risks and innovating, stifling creativity and potentially limiting growth.
What makes a Perfect Online Brand Protection Solution?
A perfect solution may be a little far-fetched as the ideal approach depends on your specific brand, threats and resources. However, some key elements should be present in any robust online brand protection strategy:
- Proactive monitoring: Scans the web for threats like counterfeiting, piracy and phishing across various channels (websites, marketplaces, social media).
- Multi-layered detection: Utilizes AI, ML, image recognition and keyword monitoring to identify subtle variations, especially with the emerging trend of fake influencers marketing on social media.
- Global reach: Monitors international markets and languages to catch infringements anywhere.
- Automated takedowns: Integrates with platforms and authorities to swiftly remove infringing content.
- Prioritization: Identifies and addresses critical threats first, minimising damage and protecting revenue.
- Real-time alerts: Notifies you immediately of high-risk infringements for swift action.
- Learns and evolves: Adapts to new threats and tactics through AI and ML data analysis, effectively becoming an anti-counterfeiting solution.
- Customisable watchlists: Tailored to your specific brand assets, including variations and misspellings.
- Training and feedback: You can guide the AI's detection capabilities with relevant examples, helping it hone in on subtle variations of fake products.
- Ecosystem integration: Connects with marketing, legal and security platforms for streamlined communication and response.
- Partner network: Collaborates with domain registrars, social media platforms and law enforcement agencies for faster takedowns and deterrence.
- Data-driven insights: Provides actionable data to inform brand protection strategies and decision-making.
Despite all the features you should look out for, keep in mind to be wary of the following four checklists:
1. Are they capable of adapting to your brand's supply chain requirements, growth and evolving threats?
2. Do they have an intuitive user interface and tools for ease of use?
3. Is the solution aligning with your budget and needs?
4. Are their customer support reliable and expertise to guide your brand protection journey?
Truviss, the AI-powered online brand protection tool
Truviss leverages Artificial intelligence and Machine learning to scour the digital landscape, proactively identifying and eliminating threats to your brand. Be it fake websites, social media ads, fake applications on the Play Store and App Store or any other unauthorized product listings, Truviss can pinpoint the counterfeits in real time and eliminate them without worry.
But even the mightiest weapon needs fine-tuning and optimising Truviss for your specific needs can turn it into an effective fortress for your online brand identity.
1. Tailor your watchlist
Truviss's strength lies in its ability to focus on what matters most – your brand. The first step to optimization is building a comprehensive watchlist. This includes not just your registered trademarks and logos, but also variations, misspellings and even common mispronunciations. Consider including product designs, slogans and other unique brand identifiers. The more precise your watchlist, the more effectively Truviss can zero in on potential threats.
2. Train the AI
The system learns and adapts and you can guide its evolution. Provide the platform with examples of past infringements, known bad actors and suspicious websites. This training data helps Truviss better understand your brand and the specific types of abuse it faces. The more you train it, the more refined its detection capabilities become.
3. Leverage automation
Time is of the essence when it comes to brand protection. Truviss automates much of the heavy lifting, scanning the web, identifying threats and initiating takedown procedures. But you can further optimize by setting up automated alerts for critical infringements. This ensures you're notified immediately, allowing you to take swift action and minimize damage.
4. Integrate with your ecosystem
Truviss isn't an island. Integrate it with your existing marketing, legal and security platforms for a holistic approach to brand protection. This streamlines communication facilitates data sharing and enables faster response times. Imagine Truviss automatically triggering legal action or notifying internal security teams upon detecting a high-risk infringement.
5. Measure and adapt
Optimization is an ongoing process. With regular learning and updation, Truviss's performance, analyzing detected threats, takedown success rates and response times increase. Adjusting your watchlist and training data, refine your automation settings. Remember, the online landscape is constantly evolving, so your brand protection strategy needs to evolve with it.
6. Beyond the technical
While optimizing Truviss's features is crucial, remember that brand protection is more than just technology. Building strong relationships with domain registrars, social media platforms and law enforcement agencies can significantly amplify your efforts. Close communication and collaboration can expedite takedowns and deter future infringements.
Truviss as a proactive shield.
When it comes to brand protection, prevention is always better than cure. The internet may be a vast and unpredictable ocean, but within its depths lies the promise of a future where brands stand tall, protected by the tides of innovation. Truviss empowers you to move beyond reactive damage control and adopt a proactive approach, safeguarding your brand's reputation and ensuring its continued success in the digital age.
1. What is online brand protection?
Online brand protection involves safeguarding your brand's identity, reputation, and intellectual property across the digital landscape. This includes monitoring for fake accounts, trademark infringement, counterfeiting, negative sentiment, and other threats.
2. Why is online brand protection important?
A strong online presence is crucial for brand success. Brand protection protects customers from scams and maintains authenticity, prevents loss of sales due to counterfeits and piracy Mitigates negative impacts and promotes a positive brand image providing unique selling points and fostering brand differentiation.
3. What are the common online brand threats?
Fake accounts: Impersonation on social media and review platforms.
Trademark infringement: Unauthorized use of logos, slogans, or brand names.
Counterfeiting: Selling fake products under your brand name.
Phishing attacks: Tricking users into revealing personal information through fake websites.
Negative online sentiment: Unfavorable reviews, comments, or news coverage.
4. How do I respond to online brand threats?
Investigate and address issues promptly to minimize damage. Report infringements and request takedowns of the offending content. Seek legal advice for serious issues like trademark infringement. Inform customers about brand threats and your response efforts.
5. Is online brand protection expensive?
The cost depends on the size and complexity of your brand and the tools you choose.
6. Where can I learn more about online brand protection?
Numerous resources are available online. You can also check out Truviss by Acviss online brand protection tool to learn more about securing your brand in cyberspace.